Search This Blog

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Creating Stenciled Background


Use embossing paste to create texture 

Using stencils to create backgrounds is more fun than you can imagine! We usually think of just using stencils with ink. But as I learned, there are a whole lot of other ideas that you can use stencils for. These techniques were in conjunction with my Altenew Educator classes. Today, I am happy to share some of the things that I learned with you.

One of the things that I do is create cards for charities. One of the charities that I support is sending cards to people who are in treatment for cancer. So, I really like to send bright, cheerful cards to them. These were fun to make, and I am looking forward to giving them away.

About The Supplies I Used


It is really important to have quality supplies to create these backgrounds. The first consideration is the stencil itself. Many stencils are very thin. The problem there is that they will have material or ink seep out of the edges of the designs, so you will not get clear impressions. I have to say that the stencils that I purchased from Altenew were nice and thick. They gave me good impressions every time that I used them. And they cleaned up quite nicely.

The second tip that I would share is to clean your stencils right after use. This is especially true after you use embossing paste or other heavier mediums. If they dry on your stencil, they will be very difficult to clean up.


Other Supplies

  • Cardstock of various colors
  • Watercolor Paper
  • Alcohol markers
  • Plastic half beads
  • Altenew Half Tone Stencil
  • Altenew Lacy Tile Stencil
  • Altenew Painted Butterflies Stamp Set
  • Altenew Wavy Flowers Stamp Set
  • Altenew Mini Hello Stamp Set
  • Altenew Turquoise Crisp Dry Ink
  • Altenew Snapdragon Crisp Dry Ink
  • Altenew Autumn Blaze Crisp Dry Ink
  • Water Sprayer
  • Paste
  • Double Sided Tape
  • White PVA Glue


Using Ink With Embossing Paste or Modeling Paste


I found that the dye inks were perfectly juicy to mix in with either embossing paste or modeling paste. The inks that I used mixed beautifully to create virtually any color of the rainbow. 

Run some color on a craft mat and mix the paste with your color ton create the perfect dimensional pattern with your stencil. 

Allow it to dry overnight for the best results.



 




Painting With Stencils

This is the exact same stencil but instead of using an embossing paste or a modeling paste, you actually use ink to paint through the stencil. 

The trick here is to make sure that the paper and the stencil are secure so that you get an exact design.

The Altenew inks work so well with water that once you try this, it will be your go to technique. 

Because you use water, you will need a watercolor paper. Do a water wash on the paper and secure your stencil to the paper as well as your work surface, Apply the ink to the paper. I used my ink applicators which are soft cosmetic type brushes. Let the ink dry and design your cards any way that you wish.


I used the same technique with the Half Tone stencil and was pleased with the results. 

The halftone stencil can be used in more ways than shown. It can be titled or used as a partial stencil too.

As I said, these were mad specifically for Cancer patients, so they were designed to be bright and cheerful.

I enjoyed mixing elements from different stamp sets. It gives you a lot more options when you look at your stash creatively.

Both of these stencils could be used for a variety of occasions and celebrations. 

Thank you for stopping by. We hope some of these ideas will be useful in your crafting journey.





Till next time, Happy Crafting!

Linda


 



1 comment:

  1. These look wonderful, Linda! Thank you for submitting your fabulous work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete