Zentangle is an easy way to create beautiful images with structured patterns. Each pattern is called a tangle.You create tangles with combinations of dots, lines, simple curves, S curves and orbs.
Patterns that are drawn on small pieces of paper are called tiles.
Starting With Zentangle
- Every zentangle starts the same way. You put one dot in each coner of your paper.
- Connect the dots with a pencil making a straight or curvey line. This square creates your frame or border
- Within the frame, make a line or several lines within the frame. This lines are called strings. Your strings should go from one boarder to the other
- Within those strings, you design your tangle or pattern
- Tangles are drawn with pens within the strings
- Add shading to your tangles with a graphite pencil. This adds dimension to your piece.
- Fine tip pens work best. If you want to add color to your art, then you can use fine tip sharpie pens & extra fine tipped pens
- Instead of making grids with lines, you can outline a cup to make circle grids. Make sure to overlap the circles.
- If you want to create a design on a full sheet of paper, start your design in the center of the page. That way you can leave the outside white as a border if it becomes to much to finish.
- Vary your pattern designs by thin, thick, dark & light. That way you’ll have some depth & balance to your art.
- Use shading to add dimension and depth to your tangles.
What To Do With Your Zentangle Art
- Cut it up and make it into a greeting card
- Frame it as a piece of art work
- Modge Podge them into coasters or on wood
- Modge Podge them onto a plate
- Use them in an art journal
- Laminate them and use them as placemats or coasters or just weird surfaces to color on for your kids
- Cut them up and collage them
Complete Guide To Zentangle Patterns
How To Make A Zentangle Step By Step
Official List Of Tangle Patterns
Tips For Drawing Auras
16 Zentangle Coloring Pages