Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2022

Organize Scrap Paper-More Ideas



There are dozens of articles on the internet that define how to get your scrap paper organized. if you would like to see our take on getting that done, click here and then come back to find out what could be an exciting second step to finally getting that scrap paper under control.

When you are thinking about what to save and what to toss, there are really only three questions to ask yourself:

  1. Do I have the space to store it? If you have extra space, then your options are broader for you. If your space is limited, then you have less options
  2. Do I have something similar that I like better? The question goes to the heart of your love of paper. How many of the same types of patterns are you willing to keep?
  3. Do I truly see myself using it? I know that I have paper and scraps that I think to myself, "well, someday I might just use it" But the truth is if you are using the idea that "someday, more than likely you probably will not.
If you really cannot decide, put it all in a box to sort through it at a later date.

Let's face it. If you are a paper crafter, you will have scraps. That comes with the territory. It's not a bad thing, just part of the overall package, When I decided to get my scraps under control, I found these neat plastic envelopes at Miles Kimbal online. That was exciting to me because I could see what I had. And being a visual person, that was important to me. And I wanted to line the envelopes up near the same colors of whole paper on my bookcase. So, for me, they served my purpose perfectly.

I am not talking about sizing down whole pieces of paper here, just the pieces left over from different projects.

But as the year went on and I was making and creating, my scraps started overtaking their envelopes. So, in December, I decided to take action and reduce the amount of shelf space that they were taking, that was by precutting paper for my papercrafts. So, I selected the sizes of paper that I wanted ahead of time. I then grabbed my trusty guillotine and started cutting color by color. I wanted a variety of sizes since in addition to greeting cards, I also do junk journals and scrapbook pages,

So here are my selected sizes:

  • 2" by 2 1/2 inches-good for card sentiments
  • 3" by 3 12 inches-larger sentiments
  • 1/1/2 by 4 inches
  • 4" by 4 1/2 inches- small photos, layer for cards and junk journals
  • 41/2 " by 51/2 inches-photo mats, layers for larger cards in junk journals, junk journal pockets
  • 6" by 6 inches-backgrounds for cards, multi purposes for junk journals and scrapbooks
Naturally, you can select the sizes that fits your needs.

Now as far as storing them, I had shoeboxes from Michaels that I bought long ago. You could use anything that you have on hand. Baskets, plastic containers or whatever works best for your space. 

Another Scrap Paper Organization Option


If you have an electronic cutting machine you can use it to create shapes with your scraps. Look to see what basic shapes your program has.

In my Cricut Access, there are over 10 basic shapes that I can size and cut from my scraps. I like things like hearts, rounds, tags, and ticket shapes. 

I can mauver the images on the scraps so that I can do multiple images to fit my scraps.

Getting Started Sorting Your Scraps

  1. Gather all of your scraps, no matter where they are. Like most of us, you may have scraps sitting in numerous places in your scrap space. It is time to get them all together.
  2. Place them on a work surface, you can use a desk, a floor or even the top of a bed.
  3. If the scraps are bent, torn or wrinkled, toss them away!
  4. If scraps are in an odd shape, cut them down into something more useable.
  5. Decide how you are going to store them. Will you store them by color or size? Patterned paper scraps in a different system or with the predominant color?
  6. Decide what containers that you are going to use.
  7. Label the containers so that you can find what you need in a flash.
  8. Store them in your system.

Where To Store Your Paper Scraps

There are many ideas to store your paper scraps. Here are a few ideas that may for your needs. Remember, there are no right or wrong ways to store these papers, only the way that works for your craft space and your budget.

  • Use Tote Bags-You can have several tote bags with file folders or page protectors filled with your scraps.
  • Filing Cabinet-You can often find a file cabinet in your local thrift store or a at a yard sale. Use hanging files and / or page protectors.
  • Cubbies-Cubbies or cubes are a perfect way to store your wayward scraps. You can use magazine files to keep those scraps in order
  • Envelopes in baskets. Put a sample of the color on the outside of the envvelope
  • Loose leaf binders have been a popular way to keep scraps by colors.
  • Zip Lock Bags-lots of crafters have been using zip lock bags to store their scraps by color
  • Rolling and stacking drawer units-these are found in your local discount stores. Using your vertical space makes a lot of sense,
  • Repurpose a small dresser-You can find these at your local thrift store or at many yard sales. You can paint them or decoupage them to fit your style\






Never store any paper, scraps or otherwise on the floor, especially if you are in a basement. They can easily soak up moisture from the floor.

Watch the moisture and humidity in your she shed. Humidity in a winter or summer shed can raise havoc on your paper or scraps.

Whatever container that you use to store your scraps, make sure not to overstuff it. The paper will rip and wrinkle making it unusable.

If paper is flopping out of your container, make sure to add a piece of cardboard or chipboard to help support your paper.
If you try to stamp with an over-inked ink pad, your stamp impressions will not come out crisp and clean. The extra ink saturation will flood the grooves of your stamp and may leave a drippy image.


So, what will you do with your scrap paper today? I promise that getting that mess in order is going to make your craft experience much better! You will have more time to craft and enjoy your time a lot more! When you are looking for that one piece of a specific color





Till next time,

Happy Crafting!

Linda






No comments:

Post a Comment