Skip to main content

Organize Your Glitter And Glitter Glues

 



This idea uses soda straw containers on a shelf for a unique large display of glitter 


I love glitter. As a matter of fact, my husband often refers to me as the Glitter Queen. I have quite a little collection of glitter in different shades and colors. 

The question in this series is how to store them. Well, I started out with the containers that they came in in a box. Easy enough, right? Then somehow, and I do not remember when, I started migrating to small plastic bags. The problem with that situation was that unless the bags were tightly sealed, the glitter would leak to the bottom of the box. 

As you might remember, we have been talking about zoning (keeping all things alike in one space) throughout this series. So, the zone for me was this box. The challenge was to figure out how to organize all the glitter that I had.

Step One-Gather All Your Glitter

Gather all your glitter and place in on a workspace, a bed or even a floor.

Sort it out by primary colors-red, blue, green, pink, purple, orange and yellow.


Step Two-Check The Containers

Make sure that all the lids are on tight. Make sure that if you are using plastic bags that the seal is closed. Make sure all your containers are labeled and sealed.

One of the kinds of containers that has been very popular are saltshakers. You can find them in the dollar store or in any thrift store you may have in your area. They are usually very reasonable in price.
How about a collection of saltshakers to hold your glitter?

If you are thinking about using salt and pepper shakers, you need to consider how fine or coarse your glitter verses the size of the hole on the top of the shaker. So, if your glitter is coarse, you would want larger holes on the top of your shaker. If you have fine glitter, you will want smaller holes. Consider what you have and what you will need for your stash.

If you find that a container or bag is not working right for you, time to change to another option.
The option that was right for me was to use some prescription bottles that I had been keeping for a while. It felt good to recycle those plastic containers to store my glitter. I created labels for them, and I was good to go.






Step Three-Gather The Colors


What I decided I wanted to do is to keep all alike colors together. So once again, zip locks to the rescue. All my containers for a single color are now in one bag. I can lift the color that I want or need quickly. No more rummaging around to find the right color. Super quick and easy.


Then I labeled the bags, and I was good to go !





Other Options For Storing Glitter

Salt and pepper shakers are perfect for storing glitter.


  • Baskets and boxes of course are good ways to store your glitter.
  • Store them in their original containers in a large glass vase or bowl.
  • Store them lined up on a shelf.
  • Any plastic boxes with divided sections in it
  • Upright in drawers
  • Velcro magnets on a wall
  • Over the door organizer like a shoe organizer
  • Clear plastic boxes
  • Tiered spice racks
  • Tic Tac containers
  • Use glass sugar or salt and pepper shakers from the dollar store.




Glitter Glues

There are many different types of glitter glues that crafters use in paper crafts. Once you get addicted to these, you will find yourself with a large collection that you will need to keep organized.

The most popular brands are Stickles and Neuvo Glitter Drops.  The one thing ti know about any of these products is that they should always be stored upside down. 

My storage unit for the Stickles is the Art Bin Glitter Glue Storage Tote. It holds my stickles as well as my reinkers all in one space upside down and ready to go when I need them. I also have my Ranger Pearls in this box as well. It holds 64 bottles.
\



For my Nuvo drops I have separate containers. The only reason that I do not use the art bin is that the lids in the Nuvo drops do not fit in the art bin.
My choice for the Nuvo drops is a container system from Scrapbook.com

I organize these by color. They are made so that they can be stored one on top of another. I have mine stored in a plastic bin. 


Using Spice Racks And Jars

You can use a spice rack with some recycled spice jars to create a rack for your glitter. 

The spice racks can often be found at one of your local thrift stores. You might also find one at a yard or estate sale. You can stand it up on a counter or hang it on some unused wall space. 

Paint it any color that you would like or decoupage some pretty paper on the wood.

Make sure to measure the width of the spice bottles to make sure that they will fit in the rack.

Using A Lazy Susan To Store Glitter

Just like the spice rack idea, if you see a lazy Susan in your travels, that is another way to get your glitter all organized. While you have to have a bit of real estate to put it on, it does solve the problem. on the size of the jars that you can use.  

More Glitter Glue Storage Ideas

  • Store them upside down using Velcro dots to the top of a bookshelf.
Most people do not have this much glitter.








We would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on storing glitter. Leave a comment or two in the comment section below.

Until next time, Happy Crafting!

Linda




Some of our favorite glitter products



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond Basic Backgrounds

Today we are exploring back grounds for greeting cards using stamps and coordinating dies with embossing powders to create a totally different look. Welcome to another community tutorial as I take my journey through the Altenew Educator Class. I have to say that I love the soft look of these greeting cards.  For this technique you will need a stamp set with the coordinating dies. You will actually create a stencil using the dies for the image that you are using on your background. To create this stencil, you will want to use a heavy white cardstock, at least 90 Lbs. or more. That way, you will be able to use the stencil again. You also will want to make the stencil a bit larger than the actual card base. Overlapping will give you the best results. Creating The Stencil Supplies White cardstock at least 90 lbs. in weight Coordinating die for the stamp you are using. Low tack tape Die cutting machine and plates. Cut the piece of cardstock slightly bigger than the card base you will be usi

What It Takes To Create An Advanced Ink Layering Technique

Today we are sharing with you some advanced ideas and techniques in ink layering. We are also sharing some additional ideas to help you take your greeting cards to the next level. We are featuring a new tutorial as part of my Level Three accreditation in the AECP (Altenew Educator Certification Program). This is a program that I have been working through for some time. My goal has been to be able to learn and share with you the best ideas and techniques to help you be the best paper crafter you can be.  There are actually 5 levels of layering classes in this program. The project that I am focusing on is a more intricate stamp set called. Climbing Clematis.  There are actually 6 layers to the main flowers and several layers to each of the coordinating flowers. The coordinating flowers add a natural touch to the design.  Here are some of the techniques that I am focusing on for this tutorial: All About Layering 1-5 All About Layering Dies Edition Layering Guides Layering guides are an es

Organize Your Stamps

  Have you ever gone to look for a particular stamp set that you know that you have and have been frustrated because you could not find that special set to finish a project? Have you ever found s loose stamp and could not figure out where that particular stamp set went?  Do not feel bad, we have all been there. Today, hopefully we are going to help you get your stamp sets organized, easy to find, and give you more time to have fun! If you are a stamp artist, then you know how much we love our stamp sets. Some of us think that collecting stamps is like another hobby! We love our stamps, and we love using them. But like any other tool, you need to care for your stamps. Part of that is organizing your stamps so that you can find what you need quickly and easily. We all get frustrated when our craft area is a hot mess! There are a lot of different things in our lives demanding our attention. And we want to spend time blowing off steam and relaxing in our craft space, I guarantee that takin