Search This Blog

Friday, July 21, 2023

Card Folio

 

Wow! What an amazing journey through the months that I have spent time doing, creating and sharing my journey through the Altenew Educator Class. It has been my pleasure to share my journey and all of the techniques that I have learned along the way. Now here we are at the final projects for my Level 2 Certification. 

This project is a folio that has a great many uses. It could be used as a mini scrapbook album with mini pages inside. It could also be used to add gift cards to.

You can theme this project any way that suits your needs. You could theme it for a birthday, a special wedding anniversary, a baby shower, and more. It is meant to hold greeting cards, gift cards, or any memorabilia for a special occasion.

This folio uses two large sheets for the base and altogether it has 6 places where you can tuck just about anything you can think of. 

I wanted to select a useful project that you could duplicate for your own use as well. This is a project that anyone could do, no matter what their craft level is. So, let's get started.


Supplies

  • White cardstock-Ninah solar cardstock
  • Grey Cardstock
  • Turquoise cardstock
  • Printed cardstock
  • Altenew Dodec Star Die
  • Altenew Mango Smoothie Crisp Dye Ink
  • Altenew Maple Yellow Crisp Dye Ink
  • Altenew Honey Drizzle Crisp Dye Ink
  • Altenew Sicilian Amber Crisp Dye Ink
  • Altenew Grass Field Crisp Dye Ink
  • Altenew Majestic Bloom Add On stamp set
  • Altenew  Majestic Bloom Add On die set
  • Altenew Crystal Wall 3D embossing folder
  • Altenew Gold Foil Pin Stripe Washi Tape
  • Blue flower washi tape
  • Solid Washi tape
  • Watered down ink spray
  • Stickles glitter glue
  • Double sided tape
  • Paper Trimmer
  • Misti stamping platform
  • Gemini Die cutting machine and cutting plates
  • Double sided tape
  • PVA glue
  • Gold sequins
  • Gold bookplate corners
  • Awl
  • Bookbinding needle and twine

Cut the Folio Base Pieces

You will need two base pieces for this folio from two pieces of 12" by 12" white cardstock. I made mine at 11.5 " by nine inches. However, you could make yours at whatever size you would like. Just adjust the pieces for the inside. You will want good strong cardstock for your base in order to hold the other layers together. 

Then I cut the lowest layer of cardstock for each page. except for the back which I left white. Each piece was cut 1/8" from the base pieces. (that would account for any adjustments you might want to make. I cut three turquoise pieces at 5 5/8" by 8 3/4" and I cut two grey pieces at the same measurement.
All of these pieces were adhered to the base pieces with double sided tape.

Creating The Layered Flowers And Leaves

You can see that I used a lot of flowers and leaves for this project. The Majestic Bloom layered stamp set was just the right size for the flowers that I needed. I did use a Misti stamping platform so that I could create several at once. The other advantage to using a stamping platform is that it is easier to line up the stamps. You will want to find reference points for each layer so that you eye will follow each layer as closely as possible.

When you are creating multiple die cuts, try to stamp as many of the different ones on one piece of paper. That way you can die cut several at once.

The Majestic Bloom add on stamp aet and die cut set were used for all of the flowers and leaves in this project.  In this set there are four layers. I always start with the base layer first and then move up to the outline layer. 

 I used the inks the following order starting with the bottom layer first:
  • Mango Smoothie-bottom base layer
  • Maple Yellow-second layer
  • Honey Drizzle-third layer
  • Sicilian Amber-outline stamp
When you are die cutting the stamps, make sure to adhere the die to the stamped image with washi tape or other low tack tape so that it does not move in the process. If for some reason, the die cut is off, you can trim the image with your detailed scissors. 

If there is any ink missing, you can always touch it up with a tiny stamp detail brush or a small paint brush,

The leaves were only one layer. There are two different leavs so there is a little more variety to the set. All of the stamps were very easy to work with and were easy to make multiples with. 

Creating The Pockets














Create The Embossed Pockets

The embossed pockets are on the front and back inside of the folio. I took white cardstock and embossed it with the Altenew Crystal Wall 3D embossing folder. Then I sprayed them with a very weak alcohol spray to give them some color. 

I cut the paper in a triangular shape and adhered them with double side tape on three sides. I then stamped and die cut the leaves and the
 flowers. These were added to the pocket with glue.

I added the glitter glue outline to the pockets and on the center of each of the flowers that I added.

Paper for pockets embossed and sprayed with weak alcohol ink

The Square Pockets

All of the square pockets were cut at 4" by 5 1/2" There are in this folio 2 gray pockets and two turquoise pockets. Each pocket has a strip of the alternate color that is 1" by 5 1/2 ". Each strip has the Pin Altenew pin striped washi tape in the center as shown above. The strip was attached to the pocket and then the pocket was attached on three sides to the page.

I used the alternate color for each pocket to die cut the smaller Altenew Dodec die. I used the left over bits to add some dimension to the center of the die. I also used a bit of the glitter glue to accentuate the die shape. I added gold sequins to 4 of the corners. Two flowers were added to each side of the die cut.

I used the glitter glue to add more detail to the flowers.

I cut some photo corners from my electronic cutting machine to add more dimension to the project.

The Cover

So that was a simple add on to the center of the cover with double sided tape. Then to continue my color scheme, I added two strips of the grey cardstock, cut to the same measurement as the decorative paper. The grey strips had the pin striped washi tape centered on top of the strip. I did stamp more of the flowers and leaves. 

They were adhered to the corners of the cover with PVC glue. Then I added the book cover corners to add some more dimension and style. 

Finally the larger die cut from the Alternew Dodec Die Cuts was cut and added. I used the pin striped on white cardstock to make the die cut. It made for an interesting pattern. 

I cut a second die cut with the turquoise paper. I used the bits from the inside of the die cut and glued them down with PVA glue. I added some gold sequins to the corners and some Stickles for accents. 


The Binding

There are a few different ways you could bind this folio. The simples way would be to use staples with a long-handled stapler on the inside. You could also use staples on the outside as well. Staples come in a lot of different colors.

Another way would be to use a large elastic. You have to measure your project size to get the right size. You night be surprised to see the different sizes available online.

I chose to use a simple pamphlet stitch which only requires three holes within the center of the project. I did use some binding thread for the stitch. I added some colored brads. For a finishing touch, I added some washi tape to the center. 



 

When you are using layering stamps, always use colors in the same color family to create the most realistic images.
Use layering guides that may be included in your stamp set. Altenew has free layering guides for all of their layered stamp sets on their website.
To get the best layered images, try using a stamping platform. The stamping platform will help you get the most accurate layered images.
A stamping platform will also help you stamp numerous images at the same time.
Use the coordinating does whenever possible. If they are not available, make sure to use detailed scissors.
Let your layered stamped images dry before applying any glitter glue.


I hope that you have enjoyed this journey with me and will give this project a try. I would highly recommend that you consider joining the Altenew Educator Program or take a few classes. You will go farther in your crafting that you ever might believe possible. Drop by at Altenew and check out the free resources and programs that are offered. 




If want to thank you for your support. As always, we welcome your thoughts, comments and ideas. Please make sure to let us know that you have stopped by! We always love hearing from you!

Happy Crafting! We will see you again soon!

Linda

 


Supplies To Create A Card Folio

What do you need today?

\