Level One Challenge
It has been quite a journey getting to the end of the first part of my level one classes with my Educator Program from Altenew. My goal has been and continues to be to become a certified educator. With that in mind, I am presenting my collection of masculine cards.
Because I live in Florida and love the beach, my collection focuses on beach blue colors. Each card is a bit different but they all use the same basic colors both in the inks as well as the cardstock itself. Each of the cards has special touches from several of the classes I hope that you enjoy my collection and perhaps find a bit of inspiration in them.
Let's start with the inks that I used. There are only three inks that I used for this set of cards. They are Altenew crisp dye inks which I have found are the best inks to use for these types of designs. The colors that I used are Ocean Waves, Sea Breeze, and Teal Cove.
I had a lot of inspiration from all of the classes that I took. The classes that inspired me for this collection include:
- Boutique Cards
- Let It Shine
- Quick And Simple Cards
- Ink Blending technique
Tools Used For This Project
There are a few tools that I used to create my card collection. More than likely you have something similar in the craft space that you could use.
- Gemini die-cut machine
- Cricut paper trimmer
- Misti stamping platform
- Envelope board
- Bone folder
Card Number One-By The Sea
The inspiration for this card comes from the beach and a piece that I colored with colored pencils. I loved using the soft hues of the cardstock that reminded me of the ocean, I know there are men in our family who would enjoy this card for sure.
The dimensions for this card are:
Base-4 1/2" by 5 "
Next level- 4" by 4 1/2 "
Third level-3 5/8" by 4 1/4"
Embossed level-31/2" by 4"
- Cut the large layer of light cardstock and adhere it to the base of the card with double-sided tape or a tape runner.
- Cut the next layer for the embossed piece
- Place the cardstock in the embossing folder and run it through the die cut/embossing folder machine following the manufacturer's directions,
- Give additional definition to the embossed piece with the Teal Cove ink carefully rubbed over the design with an ink applicator or brush.
- Color the coloring piece with colored pencils.
- Use some glitter glue to touch parts of the sand and the starfish.Let it dry.
- Attach the colored piece to the embossed section with double-sided tape or a tape runner.
- Before the embossed piece was added, a piece of gold ribbon was added. I used double-sided tape to adhere to the ribbon.
- The embossed piece has then adhered to the card base using foam tape.
- The sentiment was inked with the Label Love Stamp Set. It is 1" wide and 3" long. Allow it to dry
- Cut the sentiment layer.
- Glue the sentiment to the sentiment layer.
- One blue gem was added to the sentiment tag with tacky glue.
- You can use any colored pencil piece. Make sure that it is printed on cardstock of about 60 lbs.
- You can watercolor if you use watercolor paper for the image
- You can use alcohol markers on cardstock for the image.
- Cut the embossed layer with scissors rather than a paper trimmer of you need to trim at all.
Card Number Two-Smile
Card Dimensions include:
The base card measures 5 1/2" by 8 1/2 "
The front panels are blue: 5" by 2 " wide
Stenciled panels:4 7/8" long by 1 1/2" wide
Decorative front piece:
These were die cut with nested dies.
Base piece: 2 6/8 " by 2 6/8"
Layer: 2" by 2"
Decor Base: 1 1/2" by 1 6/8"
Layer: 1 6/8" by 1 2/4 "
Decor piece: 1 1/4 "by 1 1/2"
Connect piece: 3/4" by 1 "
- Create the stencil image. Use a piece of white cardstock.
- Lay it on your work surface.
- Place the stencil on top of the card
- Attach the stencil with low tack tape, to the cardstock and work surface. (you can also use Pixie spray.
- Use a stencil brush or an ink applicator to spread the ink over the stencil. Keep applying ink until you have the shade of the color desired. I used Ocean waves for my stencil. Let the stencil piece dry.
- Cut all the card pieces with a paper trimmer
- With a scoreboard, of 2 3/8" on each side. Use a bone folder to make the folds crisp.
- Cut the die-cut pieces following the manufacturer's directions for your die-cut machine.
- Stamp the featured decor piece
- Color the piece with alcohol markers. Allow the piece to dry.
- Cut the layers for the featured piece.
- Use double-sided tape or a tape runner to put the decor piece as well as the layered pieces on the panels. Remember the decor piece and the square only gets partial taping so that it hangs over the other panel. It gets taped 1 1/2" centered to the center of the left side of the card.
- Both the decor piece as well as the sentiment are from the Altenew Geometric Elements
- Add the tiny piece to the right side of the card centering it on the featured piece. Leave about an inch over the edge of the card. This will tuck into the back of the featured piece and keep the card closed.
- Make sure to make crisp folds on the front flaps so that they lay correctly.
- Try to place the stenciled layers evenly on both sides.
Card Three-Thank You Times 4
My third card uses the same decorative element as the second card. The only difference is that I used 4 decorative elements. The colors have three layers to each decor piece. The colors of the layers are deeper blue, white, and black. Each piece is mounted with rectangular foam pieces.as is the sentiment in the center.
The card measurements are:
Base- 5 " by 5 3/4
Layer 1-4 1/2" by5 1/2"
Layer 2- 41/4 by 5 1/4"
Greeting base:1 " by 3 3/8"
Second layer-7/8" by 3 1/8"
Sentiment Layer:4/8" by 2 3/4"
Base: 1 3/4" by 2"
First layer: 1 1/2" by 1 7/8"
Second layer: 1 3/8" by 1 3/4"
Decor piece: 1 1/8" by 1 6/8"
This is an easy card to create.
- Stamp the decor pieces 4 times. Set aside to dry. Stamp and cut one extra piece as a template.
- Color the decor pieces with the alcohol markers.Set them aside to dry,
- Use the template and a ruler to cut the layers,
- Attach the layers of the decor pieces with double-sided tape.
- Stamp the sentiment.
- Cut the layers and attach them to the sentiment.
- Attach the first and second layers to the card base with double-sided tape.
- Lay all the decor pieces on the card base and the sentiment on the card till they are evenly placed.
- Once you are satisfied with the placement, attach the features to the cards with the foam pieces
- Fussy cut the layered pieces behind the shape as evenly as possible with detailed scissors.
Card 4-Way To Go
The three sentiments used are from the Altenew Way To Go Die Set. The top and bottom pieces are cut from an embossing folder, You could use any embossing folder that you have.
I also used the inks in my palette to create the ink blended look.
I added sequins and gems to match to give a little more dimension.
Base: 6" by 6 1/2"
First layer: 5 1/2" by 6 "
Second layer: 5" by 5 3/4"
Embossed layer: 1 1/2" by 4 1/4"
- Cut the layers for the card base and adhere them with double-sided tape or a tape runner
- Emboss the cardstock in the embossing folder of your choice
- Work the ink in with an ink brush or applicator
- Let the ink dry
- Cut the embossed pieces with a paper trimmer to fit the card
- Die Cut the three pieces of the sentiment. Make three pieces of the small sentiment for both of the dies. There are two pieces for the main die cut. Follow your machine recommendations for making the sandwich to cut your dies. Use two different colors for the main die,
- Glue the small layers together, Make sure that they are lined up correctly. Let them dry
- Attach glue to the top piece of the main die and attach it to the base piece. Let that dry.
- Glue or use double-sided tape to attach the small sentiments to the embossed pieces, Use a ruler or the lines on the embossing to line up the sentiments.
- Glue tacky glue to attach sequins and gems to the card as desired.
- Line up all the pieces o the card base.
- Use double-sided tape or a tape runner to attach the embossed pieces.
- Line up the main sentiment.
- Use pieces of foam dots to attach it to the card base
- Use a ruler to line up the pieces so that they are as even as possible.
- Cover the main doe piece completely with foam dot pieces so that it lays evenly,
Card 5 Simply Awesome
This is a simple card that uses color and embossing to create a simple masculine card. This was a card base that I had but did not like the design on the bottom of the card. So, I recycled the base by cutting half of the front and reforming the base.
The colors are the same as the rest of the collection, The brown colors and the bit of gold ribbon recall the beach sand colors. You could use just about any embossing folder you would like. I liked this embossing folder as it reminds me of the waves in the ocean.
Card base: 5" by 7"
Large blue piece: 5" by 7"
Light blue top piece: 2 3/4" by 7"
Embossed piece: 2 1.2" by 7"
The sentiment piece was a tag that I had. I used the sentiment from the Altenew Label Love stamp set.
- Cut half of the card base front. with a paper trimmer.
- Cut a 5" by 7" piece in the color desired. I used a blue from the palette of my collection.
- Attach it to the back of the card front piece with double-sided tape or a tape runner.
- Emboss the piece with an embossing folder.
- Add definition to the piece using brushes or an ink applicator. to define the design. I used Altenew Teal Cove and Ocean Waves dye ink. Let it dry.
- Cut and attach the lighter color piece to the top of the front of the card base with double-sided tape or a tape runner.
- Attach the ribbon to the embossed piece using thin double-sided tape
- Attach the embossed piece to the top of the front of the card base.
- Attach the sentiment to the tag.
- Add the tag to the card front.
- Any embossing folder and combination of colors can be used to create this card. Try different combinations of colors and folders to create variations
- You can use a 5" by 7" card. Cut a 5" by 7" piece of cardstock and adhere it to the base of the card with double-sided tape or a tape runner. Then follow the directions to complete the card.
Bonus Card-Birthday Stars
Base: 6" by 6"
Window opening:4" by 4"
Embossed piece: 5 3/4 by 6"
- Emboss the piece of cardstock measuring 5 3/4 " by 6"
- Use the ink( Teal Cove) with an applicator or brush to apply over the design to highlight the raised pieces. Allow the piece to dry.
- Attach the embellishments on the top and bottom with tacky glue. Allow it to dry
- Stamp the sentiment and allow it to dry,
- Attach the sentiment to the tag with glue or double-sided tape.
- Attach that to the tag on the card front.
- Make sure to line up the embossed piece as evenly as possible.
- Line up the embellishment pieces evenly as well
- Any embellishment pieces can be used
- Use a strong tacky glue to attach the embellishments
I had some envelopes made already, but did have to make a few more, For these envelopes, I used the envelope embossing board. It is a must-have tool for all cardmakers, especially if you are making custom-sized cards.
- For most cards, you will need a 12" by 12" piece of cardstock
- Use good strong cardstock
- Make sure to use a bone folder to make crisp folds on the flaps.
- Use glue or thin double-sided tape to attach the flaps together.
The Gift Box
My cards are held in the box I created from a product that came from Amazon. I wanted to create a box that could be used again, I wanted something that would be enjoyed for some time. Not only could this bix be used for cards but for other storage too.
Sticking with my theme, I created a box with wooden look cardstock. I used a good strong double-sided cardstock so that the paper would not rip.
Step One-Measuring the Box
I first measured all the front, back, and bottom sections of the box. The mail piece was 7 1/4" by 9 "
Then to wrap around the side I cut two pieces. One was 1 3/4 by 9". The other was 1 3/4" by 12 " Make sure that whatever paper you are using, the pattern faces the same way on all sides when you go to cut it.
Step 2-Adhering The Paper
I used double-sided tape rolls as I did not want any glue bumps on my paper First I attached the side pieces. The shorter piece was put on first, extending over the bottom of the box. The longer piece was put on next. Starting from the opposite side, and running all the way to the edge of the other side. This made a seamless bottom.
Now the front piece was added front to back. still using the double-sided tape
Step 3-Adding The Decor
A ribbon was added to cover any seams on the side that showed. A ribbon was also added around the top of the box around the edge. I used tacky glue for the side ribbon and thin double-sided tape rolls on the top.
Using very strong tacky tape, A row of seashells was added all around the top edge of the box.
Then a design was added to the front using the same kind of shells.
|Here is the complete collection|
General Tips For This Collection
- Make sure that the blade of your paper trimmer is sharp so that the edges of your paper cuts are nice and even.
- Use the bone folder on the edges of any folds to get good crisp edges
- When using glitter glue, make sure to allow it to dry all day or overnight
That is the complete collection for this challenge. I hope that one or more of these cards have inspired you to create something special for the guys in your life.
Thank you for taking the time to review this tutorial. I certainly appreciate your participation and encouragement in my journey to become an Altenew Educator.
Till the next time,